How to reach Montserrat
Montserrat is about 60km away from the airport of Barcelona. There are several ways to reach Montserrat by public transport means. The best option is:
- From Terminal 1 take bus "aerobus A1" to Barcelona and leave at Plaça Espanya (departs every 10 minutes, takes 25 minutes). If you arrive in terminal 2, you can take bus "aerobus A2".
- From the Plaça Espanya Station, there are hourly FGC (Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat) trains to Montserrat. Catch the R5 line (Barcelona - Manresa) and get off at Monistrol de Montserrat station. (www.fgc.net) (takes 65 minutes).
- From there the Montserrat Cremallera rack railway will take you up to the Monestir de Montserrat station.The journey from the Monistrol de Montserrat station to the Monastery covers 5 kilometres and takes about 15 minutes.
The hotel Abad Cisneros is 5 minutes walking from Monestir de Montserrat train station. If you plan to arrive in the evening, take into account that the last cremallera rack railway departs at 20:15h.
Other useful information:
- In Plaça Espanya you can buy the ticket to Montserrat (including cremallera rack railway).
- Other options to reach Montserrat:
OPTION 2. Proceed steps 1 and 2 as in the previous option, but leave R5 train in Monistrol Aeri instead of Monistrol Montserrat Station, and take the cable car to the Monestir (https://www.aeridemontserrat.com/en/timetable-fares/get/).
OPTION 3. There are buses from Plaça Universitat (close to Plaça Catalunya ) to Monistrol (C55 Can Gomis, http://sagales.com/en) (departs every 30 minutes, takes 55 minutes). From there you can take the cremallera rack railway.
- In order to plan the return trip, the conference will finish around 17:00h. You can be safely in the airport at 19:30h.
How to reach PODC from Montserrat
If you plan to attend PODC in San Sebastian after SIROCCO, you have different options:
- OPTION A: There are two daily direct flights from Barcelona to San Sebastian (operated by VUELING airlines)
- OPTION B: You can also take the train (RENFE) from Sans Train Station (takes 5h 40min). Two daily trains depart Sans station at 7:30 and 15:30.